Suggest treatment for poor appetite in a child

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor,
My 16 months old baby boy is not eating properly since 4-5 days. He eats fruits curd but no rice or roti. I make him drink lots of fluids. Is is because of change in season or he has any problem? Plz guide me how should be his diet in summer.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concerns but don't worry. The most likely reasons for poor appetite in this age group are viral gastritis, lack of activity, increased sugar containing food intake, worm infestations, iron deficiency anemia and improper feeding habits.

If your child's condition is transient, then viral gastritis can be the likely cause. Give him antacids such as Junior Lanzol once before breakfast for relief. If the problem continues then I would recommend you to check him for anemia and worm infestations by Hemogram and stool test for ova and cyst. Give him a dose of deworming tablet such as Albendazole. Iron syrups such as ferronia XT or vitcofol can be given if anemia present on Hemogram. You may upload the reports for my review.

Also ensure the following measures to boost his appetite:
1. Good quality play time to burn calories and improve appetite.
2. Regular meal timings and 2 snacks in between the meals. Avoid any food or calorie intake apart from meals and snacks. You may give water in between if required. This will make the food more tempting for your child.
3. Avoid refined sugars such as chocolates, junk foods as far as possible.
4. Give plenty of water and fruits. Give 2 glasses of milk and avoid more than 1 glass of juice in a day.
5. Eat together and avoid distraction at meal times.
6. Avoid force feeding.

Hopefully it will be of help.