Suggest treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica
Noted your concern. Poly myalgia rheumatica is a diagnosis of exclusion . I hope your Vitamin D levels, Thyroid blood works are normal.
The minimum trial period of steroid in PMR is 3 months. However, since you have used 20 mg for a month, we can taper the steroids only gradually.
How do you feel in yourself after starting steroids ? Any diference after ringing down the dose to 5 mg alternate days?
If you are better, then by end of this month, you could further reduce it to 2.5 mg alternate day and then over a period of 15 days can stop. This should be done in consultation with your doctor.
Please take atleast 1000 mg calcium and 1000 units Vitamin D a day to protect your bones as well whilst on steroids.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Polymyalgia rheumatica cardiomyopathy related
- Polymyalgia rheumatica spasms
- Troponin in polymyalgia rheumatica
- Treatment and cure for polymyalgia rheumatica
- Treatments for polymyalgia rheumatica
- Polymyalgia rheumatica dilated cardiomyopathy
- Suggest non-steroid treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica
- Polymyalgia rheumatica during pregnancy
- Polymyalgia rheumatica cardiomyopathy
- Suggest treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica