• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pneumonia

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My husband was diagnosed with pneumonia last week, on XXXXXXX 30th. He was given an antibiotic for 10 days and a puffer. We had to take him to emergency on XXXXXXX 30th because he couldn't breath! They took an X-ray and told him that he had pneumonia in the bottom of his left lung. She gave him three pills of prednisone and a steroid puffer to take four times a day (2 puffs). We are travelling to drive back home, but are 12 hours away, I do not drive, my husband, who is sick is the driver!! He CANNOT breath no matter what he does!!! What do I do!!!! HELP
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

In thinking about this situation, the best solution is to go to the local ER. You will probably need to call an ambulance to get the 2 of you there. You cannot drive and your husband is too sick to drive and needs medical attention. He may need to be reevaluated as it sounds as though he is very sick. And he may need more prednisone to control his breathing. In addition, if he is still having significant fevers, he may need a different antibiotic. The ER doctor may need to admit him overnight to stabilize his breathing if necessary. But I don't think you have much choice but to go in to the ER for re-evaluation as he isn't getting better and from your description, sounds like he is very sick and may be getting worse.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh