Suggest treatment for pneumonia

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 in Cancer
Question: I was diagnosed with pneumonia two days ago after several tests and an xray that showed pnewmonia in my right lung. I am sixty three and the DR. said she saw something else near the pnewmonia that was not pneumonia. I went to urgent care by my house and after two hour s and many tests that is what was said. I have an appt. with my own Dr. on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. I have a physical at least once a year due to a bad accident I was in in 2000. I am on a lot of different medicine right now and a breathing inhaler if I need it. Should I worry now? And is lung cancer a disease that goes away with whatever treatment is given. I know sometimes it does not work depending how far advanced it is, but if you get treated and it works, do people then live a long time?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May not be lung cancer after all

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Lung cancer is very difficult to appreciate on x-ray, especially if there is associated pneumonia. The statement of your doctor is also very non-specific. I don't think that there is any hard evidence in favour of cancer here.

If really in doubt, a CT scan of thorax is required.

If at all it is cancer, treatment is available. Success depends on the stage. But yes, many patients do well. Many live for years.

In any case, without the CT I would not worry too much.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D