Suggest treatment for pneumonia

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi I think I have pneumonia? How can I treat it?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
would require prescription for medication

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Pneumonia is most commonly either viral or bacterial.

It is more common (though can occur in other age groups) in children or older persons unless the immune system is compromised in some way.

Though not common at your age, it is possible.

Bacterial pneumonia would require antibiotics for treatment which would require a prescription from your doctor.

Viral pneumonia and bacterial pneumonia present in a similar way, the main differences found in studies were less chest pain and rigors with viral.

Diagnosis is made from swabs from the nose, sputum analysis, washing of the nasal/throat for secretions.

Viral pneumonia is treated with anti viral medication which are also prescribed.

If you have a wet cough ,viral bronchitis can also cause a productive persistent cough. This is treated with mucolytics (medication to break up mucus) and other cough and cold meds.

Eg of mucolytics are mucomyst, guaifenesin (usually found in robotussin), bisolvan

Using one of these with your cough and cold med would help along with using enough fluids to break up the mucus.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later
I have a wet cough, chest pain when I cough,fever, aching body and nausea what would you suggest?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mucolytic, fluids ,rest, pain/fever meds, cough suppressant

Detailed Answer:
HI

With fever, aches and pain, wet cough, it is possible that you have the flu (influenza).

The flu can cause pneumonia though most do not go this far.

(1)The mucolytics mentioned would help bring out the mucus from your chest, unfortunately some persons may have a worse cough initially as it tries to come out.

(2) the pain/fever medication continued

Add tylenol (acetaminophen) to the nurofen (ibuprofen). Because they are from different drug families and do not interact, they would work together to decrease the fever and pain

(3)fluids and rest are very important

(4)cough suppressant- this may decrease coughing out the mucus but would help reduce the chest pain

Dextromethorphan is the cough suppressant used.

Found on its own (delsym) or in combination with other meds (eg decongestants or anti histamines)

The combination may be best for you

If you try home treatment and there is no improvement or your symptoms worsen then you should see a doctor

Please feel free to ask anything else