Suggest treatment for plugged ears

Posted on Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a pluged right ear for about 10 days-what can I do to relieve it
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Otoscopy, ear wax, PTA, I/A Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. Get your ear canals examined by an otoscope to rule out ear wax. This will be the most common reason for a plugged ear. 2. If there is ear wax; and it is dry or impacted, wax dissolving ear drops may be required for a week before the wax may be cleaned out. This is because the external ear canal is narrower in the middle (the isthmus). If the wax is soft and wet, it may be cleaned or flushed out (syringing) immediately. 3. If there is an ear infection (sometimes fungal) or discharge, it has to be cleaned treated. 4. If there is no wax detected, a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) will be required to check for any hearing loss or pressure changes which may also feel like a clogged ear. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 2593 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Hearing loss

doctor1 MD

I am having a throbbing,pulsing and swishing noises going on in my head. I am a 55 year old female, healthy, have normal blood pressure, 5ft.5in....

doctor1 MD

sir, I am operated for epidermoid at left cerebello pontine angle .I suffered with post operative complications like hearing loss (up to 53...

doctor1 MD

Friend had severe sickness, diarrhea & stomach pain possible diagnosis of colitis. However, although slowly recovering he had hearing loss in left...

doctor1 MD

Our 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with Digeorge syndrom at 3 months of age. She has had major cardiac issues with 3 truncus artiriosis...

doctor1 MD

What does a mastoidectomy involve? What type of care is required before and after such a procedure?

doctor1 MD

Dr. Eni My daughter is home now and is still nauseous, and dizzy with stomach pain, but is doing better since receiving CBD anally. No reason was...

doctor1 MD

I've seen 2 doctors. I've also emailed back and fourth with Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on this site. My symptoms are ringing in the left ear. Low grade...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

126 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction