Suggest treatment for pleurisy

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Feb 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Several week ago I was diagnosed with pleurisy. I was put on a steroid and the symptoms disappeared. Now I am off the steroids and the pain has reoccurred. What would you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to get done chest x ray to rule out lung infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, you should first get done chest x ray to rule out lung infection.
Most common cause for pleurisy is lung infection.
Ideally steroids should not be given because steroids can actually worsen the infection and this can be the cause for your chest pain at present.
So get done chest x ray to rule lung infection.
Application of warm water pad on affected areas is indicated in simple pleurisy.
Oral anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen is also helpful.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.