Suggest treatment for pleurisy along with ear infection

Posted on Thu, 24 Nov 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Yesterday I was diagnosed with pleurisy (right side), sinus & ear infections. I was given an antibiotic and Ru hist. Shouldn't I have gotten a cough syrup or have been told what to take for the excruciating pain while coughing?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Medicines over the counter.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HCM to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Your doctor have not give a cough syrup and something for the pain because you can take those over the counter. They are only reliving your symptoms, but are not healing you. It is very important to take the antibiotic as recommended.

For the cough, you can drink teas with honey, as it has been proven to help a lot.
In the pharmacy you can take Acetylcisteine 200mg 3 times/day tablets or syrup. No always a cough syrup or medicine is helpful, because different people react differently. Take it as needed, until the cough does not bother you anymore.
Also for the chest pain you can take Ibuprofen 400mg or another random painkiller you have at home.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.
Otherwise please close and rate the answer.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Klarida Papaqako