Suggest treatment for planter fasciitis

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Iam facing with plantar fascitis problem,please give me suggestion.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 30 minutes later
Brief answer....explained below
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Normally plantar fasciitis becomes all right orbits own in few months time, however conservative treatments can hasten the recovery process.
Being a fascia it takes long time to heal.
What to do....
Loose weight if overweight
Avoid excessive running or standing and give proper rest to your foot.
May take ibuprofen for few days to take care of inflammation
Avoid walking bare foot and wear proper shoes with cushioned heals
Apply ice packs daily for 10-15 minutes
Regular gentle stretching of Achilles tendon and plantar fascia help in easing out your symptoms. You can take the help of a physiotherapist in this regard.
If these measures don't help you even after trying for many months,you can opt for steroid injections locally. You may need 2-3 injections in a period of few weeks.
Surgery is reserved for patients where person is still having pain even after a year of trying all the above methods.
In the end I would like to mention that most people become all right within a year without resorting to surgery or steroid injections.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 minutes later
Thanks for the detailed answer doctor.

My profession (Lecturer in corporate college) demands to stay stand for 6 hours in a day. so, it is not possible to avoid that. Even after foot relief , I couldn't walk across the rooms in the house itself. I can't manage having pain killers for all the 365 days right? The day i take pain killer get some relief but it is as usual on the other day.
Is there any permanent solution for this other than surgery or steriod injections?
Definitely , I would plan to have comfortable In-sole to my shoe. Any specific Ortho support recommendation would be useful.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 31 minutes later
I understand your problem very well.
A laced sports shoe would be better rather than an open sandal.
You can buy various pads and shoe inserts to cushion your heal and support the arch. You can visit a surgical shop to look for various options.
Do following things seriously for few weeks. You should be all right after that
Use ice pack daily 
Apply locally anti inflammatory crews or gel. They benefit some people
Consult a physiotherapist and do the exercises under his/ her guidance.
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 17 hours later
Iam following all these from last 6 months but still feeling pain
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Now the question is about the intensity of pain.
If your pain has reduced quite a lot in past 6 months,then you are advised to continue the treatment seriously for another few months.
If your pain is still the same even after a regular and intensive conservative treatment for 6 months,then probably you need Steroid injections locally.
Thanks