Suggest treatment for plague

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: For the last year I have been plagued with very strong underarm odor but only on the right side. There is no perspiration unless I am working outside in warm weather. My dermatologist recommended a strong antiperspirant which I use every day after showering but the condition persists.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs some endocrine work up and continue anti perspirant and more water

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had been experiencing lately.

Based on the history you have shared, let me clarify that sweating amounts and tendency and odor varry between different individuals depending upon genetic and certain racial differentiation. Also some underlying endocrine disease like hyperthyroidism or pheochromocytoma and many others may present with excessive sweating. This also depends upon every individuals metabolic variability.

In short in your case too, some factors are non modifable but to rule out any modifiable cause like endocrine abnormalities can be worked up. Alongwith that repeated showers and cleanliness will decease the odor you have mentioned.

Less use of aromatic hydrocarbons and protiens may lead to less smelly sweats and can be modified accordingly. Drink more fluids and water as it will cause a dilute less smelly sweat.

Last resort is use of anti perspirant and for that you need to repeat them every few hourly and that can be one temporary but effective solution.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad