Suggest treatment for pityriasis rosea

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My daughter, 36, possibly has something called Pityriasis rosea. This is undiagnosed by a professional. Since the cause seems to be viral, possibly, and she has not been ill, I wonder if antihistamines or possibly Prednisone might help??
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
They are of no added value in treatment!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Anti histamines or steroids have no effects on pityriasis rosea. Healing is spontaneous and may take as long as 6-8weeks. some do last longer before disappearing. I will suggest that you stay cal and follow through with the expectant approach rather than trying products that have not been shown to offer any additional benefits.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish your daughter well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information or clarifications if need be.