Suggest treatment for pink eye

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Can you treat Pink on your own at home without going to the doctor?

My eye was a little red this morning. Woke up with film on my eye but it was not all crusty or pussey. No my eye is looking blood shoot and red and is watery. Also notice that I'm starting to get a sore throt and stuffed up.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hot wet compresses

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

This is a good question.

Pink eye can be caused by bacteria or viruses. Most are caused by the same viruses that cause colds. And sometimes when people get pink eye they have an upper respiratory infection/cold.

I have resolved pink eye infections (conjunctivitis) in myself and my daughter when she was little, with hot wet compresses. You can stand over the bathroom sink and keep reheating a wash cloth with the running water and apply to your closed eye/eyes, holding it there until the cloth starts to cool. Do this for several minutes as many times a day as possible, preferably at least 3 times. Not so hot that there's risk of damaging your lids/eyes.

It may take a few days of doing this for it to resolve.

Microorganisms have set temperatures at which they metabolize and reproduce, and the hot compresses may affect them because of that. Also, the moist heat increases blood flow and white blood cells to the conjunctiva which helps cleanup the infection.

Viral conjunctivits is not susceptible to antibiotic drops or ointment because those are for bacterial infections. However, doctors (including myself) often prescribe them because it can be hard to tell the difference. But if you are getting a cold, and just statistically speaking, it is likely due to a virus.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.