Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

174 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for pink eye

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Hanif

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 2369 Questions

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My son is living with us after the Marine Corp while attending college and came home yesterday with swelling/redness under his R eye only. No drainage or redness noted in the eye. No CO any vision problems or pain . He goes to workout at the Community College gym almost everyday as part of his curriculum/ Law Enforcement. My point is he is very careful and aware of good personal hygiene. My wife and I are retired nurses and told him it could be pink-eye. Any advice would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No it isn't a pink eye.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you!

Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully worked through your case, and I can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I assure you not to worry as I will take care all of your medical concerns.

No this isn't the pink eye. Pink eye is the infection/inflammation of the outer layer of the eyeball, and there is also involvement of the inner sides of the eyelid. That is altogether a different disease.

He has got Peri orbital puffiness. Reasons may be:-

Contact sensitivity or localized allergy also called as Localized dermatitis of the area. This is the skin allergy to a typical area of the skin that is confined only to the part of skin affected. No systemic effects seen.

Trauma to the skin under the eyes. It is very common in young adult patients who have an active lifestyles like going for workout etc.

Blocked oil gland or Chalazion may also cause swelling and redness under one eye.

Hair follicle infection or Folliculitis.

Allergic rhinitis.

Apply hot fomentation on the area.
Give him Ibuprofen to relieve inflammation and swelling will subside fast.
Give Claritin to help reduce swelling if this is due to allergic process.
Give him plenty of water to drink daily.
Get him checked for any thyroid issues and blood pressure screening.

Hope I answered all of your health concerns . If you have further questions, feel free to contact me anytime. Always write my name in start of your question in future, and I will get back to you in no time. If satisfied, please give your generous 'five Star rating' and don't forget to 'Close the discussion'.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Contact sensitivity

doctor1 MD

Hi, I've been suffering from stinky feet for 7 years now. My feet would smell even with shoes on, if I walk into a room the smell creates some sort of zone, even if your not sitting beside me you could clearly smell it across the room. I smell...

doctor1 MD

I want a second opinion . What could this bump on or near my clitorus and labia minora be? It doesnt hurt.

doctor1 MD

Hi ...I am male 39 ...i lost my hair in center of scalp ... i had hair implant .. after that i am using tugain minoxidil 5% 1ml twice a day .. androanagen tan in the morning and finax tab at night .. after using minoxidil for 2 months .. it started irritation ..itching..and now redness on face ear and neck aswell it side effect ??

doctor1 MD

suffering of androgenetic alopecia .using minoxidil 5% for last 2 first 12 months result was positive.after that hair fall increases gradually.i have taking multivitamin also.recently noticed rashes on my scalp.what shoul i do now? age-27 weight-50 height-170 cm sex-male

doctor1 MD

Tattoo Infection - I have given myself homemade tattoos before and (as far as prisonstyle tattoos go) I have done a pretty good job in the past of sanitation.
This last tat I was doing was a cover-up on my ankle, and I used a different ink than I usually use, which has caused my skin to be red and swollen (it's day 3 now but I am used to new tats enough to know when it looks healthy, which it doesn't.), and I cant afford to go to the doctor for the infection, so I was wondering if you had any advice to help me out?
I have been spraying it with bactine at least daily, giving it plenty of air and avoiding moisture.
also, I have some antibiotics (don't remember the name, no longer in the bottle) that my doctor gave me about a year ago for an infection in my intestine, and I was wondering if I should take these as I was thinking they might help, and I figured it was worth a shot as long as they couldn't make it worse, so could they?
thanks a lot!

doctor1 MD

I got a blue and black colored tattoo about 2 days ago on the bicep area of my dominant arm. It's sore, the skin around it is raised, and the blue parts are more wrinkly than the black parts. Now, this is my 7th tattoo, however this is only my 2nd with color. I have had a reaction to red ink in the past, which was successfully treated with clobetasol propionate. I still have a tube of that with me however I don't know if it's safe to use on such a new tattoo. To clean it, I have been using Johnson's baby soap and to moisturize it I've been using Vaseline advanced healing lotion (unscented) if that helps. Should I quit the Vaseline and start with the clobetasol propionate? Please advise.