Suggest treatment for pink eye

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My son is living with us after the Marine Corp while attending college and came home yesterday with swelling/redness under his R eye only. No drainage or redness noted in the eye. No CO any vision problems or pain . He goes to workout at the Community College gym almost everyday as part of his curriculum/ Law Enforcement. My point is he is very careful and aware of good personal hygiene. My wife and I are retired nurses and told him it could be pink-eye. Any advice would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No it isn't a pink eye.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you!

Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully worked through your case, and I can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I assure you not to worry as I will take care all of your medical concerns.

No this isn't the pink eye. Pink eye is the infection/inflammation of the outer layer of the eyeball, and there is also involvement of the inner sides of the eyelid. That is altogether a different disease.

He has got Peri orbital puffiness. Reasons may be:-

Contact sensitivity or localized allergy also called as Localized dermatitis of the area. This is the skin allergy to a typical area of the skin that is confined only to the part of skin affected. No systemic effects seen.

Trauma to the skin under the eyes. It is very common in young adult patients who have an active lifestyles like going for workout etc.

Blocked oil gland or Chalazion may also cause swelling and redness under one eye.

Hair follicle infection or Folliculitis.

Allergic rhinitis.

Management:-
Apply hot fomentation on the area.
Give him Ibuprofen to relieve inflammation and swelling will subside fast.
Give Claritin to help reduce swelling if this is due to allergic process.
Give him plenty of water to drink daily.
Get him checked for any thyroid issues and blood pressure screening.

Hope I answered all of your health concerns . If you have further questions, feel free to contact me anytime. Always write my name in start of your question in future, and I will get back to you in no time. If satisfied, please give your generous 'five Star rating' and don't forget to 'Close the discussion'.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D