Suggest treatment for pinched nerve in neck

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 31 Oct 2014 in Elderly Problems
Question: What exercise can I do for pinched nerve in neck
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This will need help of physiotherapist

Detailed Answer:
I think you are having cervical spondylitis and because of this there is nerve compression. I think you should not try to do these exercises by your self and take help of a physiotherapist. I have following suggestions for you.
1. Avoid using very high pillow or keeping your neck in same position for long time.
2. Intermittent cervical traction exercises in which weight is applied to pull the neck is useful. Weight is about four kg.
3. Neck muscle strengthening exercises which physiotherapist can teach you and then you can do it at home.
4. Avoid driving or any jerky activity.
5. Tablet Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine is also helpful, discuss with your doctor before taking it.
6. Soft cervical collar is also helpful.
I hope this answer will be useful for you. Let me know if there is any other follow up question.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari