Suggest treatment for pinched nerve in neck

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Mon, 6 Oct 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I am said to have a pinched nerve in the neck area casing discomfort in my right arm. Will steroid epidurals cure my problem or simply give me temporary relief?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Temporary relief.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

A pinched nerve in your neck is called Cervical Radiculopathy and it happens when you have a nerve root injury caused by nerve compression.
This can cause sharp pain in the neck that travels down the arm.
There is inflammation and swelling of the tissue surrounding the nerve ,so this worsens the compression of the nerve.

Most common conditions that can compress and pinch nerves causing inflammation and pain include:
-herniated discs,
-spinal stenosis
- arthritis
-degenerative disc disease

In these cases Steroid injection near where the nerve is being pinched serves to lessen the inflammation and the swelling and this way relieving the pressure on the nerve.
This relieves the pain and give some time for the nerve to recover.
Steroid injections doesn't treat the condition that is causing nerve compression .It just treat inflammation and relieve temporary the pain.
It doesn't cure arthritis or herniated disc (the treatment is surgical)etc.

If the cause for nerve compression persist ,after some time the compression will cause again inflammation and swelling which will worsens nerve compression causing more pain.

The definitive treatment depends on the cause of pinched nerve and surgery might be necessary to take pressure off the nerve.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have other questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Kind Regards!
Dr.Rovena Murati