Suggest treatment for pimples

Posted on Thu, 26 Mar 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: How can I get rid of pimples?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment of acne is guided by severity; comprises both Oral & topical Rx

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us at healthcaremagic

I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

Acne is a chronic & recurring skin problem.
Acne activity dies down with time and till that happens it is important to take regular care of acne prone skin and not allow your acne to turn aggressive.

Treatment of acne is guided by the severity.
Topical treatment is usually enough for mild acne whereas for severe acne Oral treatment is usually combined with topical treatment.

Topical treatment mainly comprises 3 categories of drugs...

-topical antibacterials like clindamycin;
-topical benzoyl peroxide; and
-topical retinoids like adapalene.

These topical treatments may be combined to produce additive results.
One of the gels which you were using in past contains a combination of clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide.
You may restart it. Use it once daily only over active acne.

Apart from this I suggest you to start using Adapalene 0.1% gel once daily at night over the acne affected skin.

Oral treatment comprises....

-Oral antibiotics e.g one of either Doxycycline, Azithromycin Or Minocycline
and
-Oral retinoids like Isotretinoin.

Oral treatment is mainly for moderately severe to severe grade of inflammatory acne.

Once you acne activity is well controlled, it is advisable to continue using a topical retinoid e.g adapalene gel as a maintenance treatment till at a certain age when acne activity naturally dies down.
Topical retinoids are antiinflammatory and comedolytic in action & therefore ideal for maintenance.

Topical retinoids also hep to lighten pigmentation resulting from acne.

I suggest you to visit a dermatologist. Your dermatologist will assess the severity of your acne and other skin problems and advice accordingly.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist