Suggest treatment for pimples

Posted on Tue, 8 Jul 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am soo many pimples on my face , i am using some cream to cure it , please comments if they are correct and suggest if there is any other one

correct name of tube is : Terbinaforce plus
and Acnicin gel
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acne treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

Terbinaforce plus cream is not for acne. Moreover it contains a potent steroid , clobetasol propionate, which should never be used on face because it can cause even more acne.

Acnicin cream is topical erythromycin, an antibacterial, which has been used for acne in the past. However, since Propionibacterium acne, the acne causing bacteria, has become mostly resistant to erythromycin, therefore now a days, it is not commonly prescribed for acne.

I would suggest that you discontinue with both of them, terbinaforce as well as acnicin gel.

Acne is due to over-activity of sebaceous glands. Since the sebaceous glands are already working overtime in those who have acne, therefore it is important to keep your skin free of oil as much as possible, without over drying it.

I would suggest a gentle cleanser e.g cetaphil cleansing lotion, twice daily for face wash

Topical treatment of acne mainly revolves around topical antibacterials (Clindamycin gel OR Nadifloxacin gel), Benzoyl peroxide and Topical Retinoids (Adapalene gel). Topical Retinoids are comedolytic and antiinflammatory therefore also prevent new acne formation.

For inflammatory acne(papules and pustules) I advise my patients to start with one of the oral antibiotics either Azithromycin/ Doxycycline OR Minocycline.

You could also take a few peeling sessions e.g salicylic acid peels, from a dermatologist. Salicylic acid peels are specific for acne.

Hope this helps
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist