Suggest treatment for pimples on the lips

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor,

This is XXXXXXXXXXXX , the last two to three days the left side of the vermillion border just below it there is small pimple like ( initially i thought it was just flaky dead skin like the one throughout the lip borders which i wipe it off with cotton bud ) but when i try to wipe this off it hurts.. also it looked like white pimple like stuff now the white one is gone just the pimple remains.also the upper and lower lip border could you please check and let me know if they are fine ...at times they become red i don't know why..also since these days because of my gum problem i have been asked to do salt water gargling lots of time and i don't know because of that or something else the inner lips becomes dry and white line comes and i have to wipe it off and that gives a redness in turn . also the left side upper lip vermillion border at time there is a drilling pain like i don't know again why could you please check and let me know why. i am attaching pics for further reference ... i amreallyscared ( i know the stress only adds up to the problem but i am not able to let go please help).
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Common pimple

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXXXXXXXX,
Thanks for the query and photograph.
There is a small swollen spot below the vermilion border.
It is a common pimple which is in healing stage.
Just apply an antibacterial cream like mupirocine twice daily for a week.
There is nothing to worry.
Relax yourself.
Feel free to ask any doubts.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 40 hours later
Hello doctor,
I have attached some pics of my lower lip where the inside of the lower lip there is a red patch ... no pain as of such but the skin looks rough dry and red .... could you please tell me whether I can use hexigel ointment as this is the only one I have as of now . Also as I told you I have thus gum problem I am told to use salt water gargling , sensodyne toothpaste and gengigel ( hylaraunon) and xylitol ointment on my gums throughout . Could you please tell me whether I can continue this .... I have left with no options as my gums are in bad shape .
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use hexigel

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up and photograph.
As I mentioned earlier you have rosaceae hence such mild redness and rashes will keep appearing on and off.
There is nothing alarming about these as they will subside in few days.
You can use hexigel, It is an antibacterial and will help in preventing infection.
The medication prescribed to you for dental problem is good and can be used without any side effect on lips.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 days later
Hello doctor,
I have some queries related to herpes transmission
1) I have a dental appointment on Monday for the first time in this country , I did enquire in the clinic about cross contamination to which they said that no two person gets the same dental equipments and for each and every person the dental equipments are kept in sterilebags and opened in front of them . Can I believe them.
2) what about the dental X-rays and the gloves they put on , how do I check for hygiene measurements in them pleaseadvice
3) they did say that they can show their sterilebags to me before I could sit in chair for satisfaction purposes but can't take me to the room where they are keptforsterlisation . Is it true are they bluffing?
4) how long the virus stays on equipment in some magazines they say it stays for more then two hours where in the proper herpes forum they say that the virus died immediately after exposure to air , if this is true then even if I use some one else dental equipment after 10 to 15 minutes of their usage by that time the virus should have almost died due to exposure right?
5) I do need to see a dentist ASAP but because of this fear I am unable to go but can't bear the tooth pain also
PLEASE REPLY TO EACh EVERY DoUBT OF MImNE .. I am very scared and need your guidance please help me
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello
As they mentioned they will use seperate dental equipment for each patient hence there is no chance of infection.
While doing x ray a sensor is put in mouth which again is covered in a sterile packet and inserted in mouth.
Just relax they won't be bluffing as cross infection is a serious concern and clinics usually take all precautions.
Herpes virus dies off as soon as the secretion dries.
The survival depends on till what time the infected instrument remains wet with saliva.
Even washing the equipment cleans it of infection.
Relax yourself and go for procedure.
Thanks