question-icon

Suggest treatment for pimples on the buttocks

Posted on Thu, 14 Jun 2018
Question: My 12 year old son frequently gets pimples on his buttocks. please suggest remedies. If you have a home remedy, that will be awesome.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics and Oral vitamin A supplement

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar(Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

He seems to have lots of conical/ acuminate bumps (keratosis pilaris) on his buttocks skin and some of them are inflamed (visible as pus point) perhaps due to friction or itching /scratching.
I suggest a course of an oral antibiotic e.g either Cap. Amoxicillin or Cap. Cephalexin, 250mg, three times a day for a week. Topically you may apply an antibiotic ointment e.g either neosporin ointment or mupirocin 2% ointment, twice daily. This would help resolve the inflammation.
For the keratosis pilaris I would suggest an oral Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate 25000IU, twice daily for 1or 2 months).
These are prescription medications and I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist