Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for pimples on the buttocks

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7522 Questions
My 12 year old son frequently gets pimples on his buttocks. please suggest remedies. If you have a home remedy, that will be awesome.
5 days ago in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics and Oral vitamin A supplement

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar(Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

He seems to have lots of conical/ acuminate bumps (keratosis pilaris) on his buttocks skin and some of them are inflamed (visible as pus point) perhaps due to friction or itching /scratching.
I suggest a course of an oral antibiotic e.g either Cap. Amoxicillin or Cap. Cephalexin, 250mg, three times a day for a week. Topically you may apply an antibiotic ointment e.g either neosporin ointment or mupirocin 2% ointment, twice daily. This would help resolve the inflammation.
For the keratosis pilaris I would suggest an oral Vitamin A (retinyl palmitate 25000IU, twice daily for 1or 2 months).
These are prescription medications and I suggest you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor