Suggest treatment for pimples on penile shaft

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 23 Dec 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have 5 to 10 small pimples on either side of the base of my penis shaft. I had recently shaved the area and following this had unusually rough sex. I believe this is folliculitis as there is a visible hair growing out of the top of each pimple. They are also separated by at least 5mm space.

I have not attempted to pop any and I feel no pain. Also, I feel no pain during urination and I am fairly sure this is not an STD.

What should I use to make these go away as quickly as possible? I heard Neosporin can help. Is there anything else and how quickly will they disappear under normal circumstances?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis; Oral and topical antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Images.

Yes, this seems like folliculitis. I can see a pus point capping each of the individual involved hair follicles and surrounding redness.
If I was the treating doctor I would suggest you to use a topical antibacterial e.g either neosporin or mupirocin ointment, twice daily. I would also suggest a course of an Oral antibiotic for a week e.g either Amoxicillin 500mg or Cephalexin 500 mg, three times a day, for a week.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
How long does it usually take dis disappear using the cream and taking anti-biotics?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A week

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Should resolve within a week

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Is there an alternative to Neosporin? It is not available in my country. Would Gentamicin cream work instead? Or something else?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gentamicin should work

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Gentamycin cream should work fine for folliculitis.