Suggest treatment for pimples in the pubic area

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello.

Given the poor quality of photos I have supplied, I wondered if I might ask for a second opinion.

I have, over the last week, developed spots/bumps/pimples in my pubic area (but not on my penis or scrotum). They don't itch or burn. I am sexually active.

Photos attached.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can't see any pictures, upload them again

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I can't see any pictures.
Kindly upload them again so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 36 minutes later
Sorry, they didn't seem to attach. Trying again.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mail them to YYYY@YYYY as "Attention: Dr Asmeet "

Detailed Answer:
Ok fine..
If they are not getting attached you can also mail them to YYYY@YYYY as "Attention: Dr Asmeet".
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 12 hours later
Thanks. That's been sent.

Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still can't see the pictures

Detailed Answer:

Still can't see the pictures.

If still facing difficulty, kindly contact the customer care team, they'll guide you.

Brief Answer:
Either Molluscum contagiosum or folliculitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have reviewed the attached photographs and their are 2 possibilities: either Molluscum contagiosum which is a sexually transmitted viral infection or folliculitis which is inflammation of the hair follicles.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply topical antibiotic like neosporin ointment on the affected bumps twice daily for 5-7 days.
If it doesn't improve consult a doctor and get the molluscum extracted or removed by electrofulguration.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Ok, is there a way for me to tell the difference?

Why do they need to be removed? Everything I can find about molluscum contagiosum says they go naturally after a month or two?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Molluscum takes 6 months to 1 year to disappear, chances of spreading high

Detailed Answer:
It won't be possible for you to make out difference. Only a doctor can make out the difference clinically.
That's why I have asked you to apply topical antibiotic on them. If they start subsiding after antibiotic that means they are folliculitis.
Molluscum contagiosum usually goes away naturally in children mostly and takes about 6 months to 1 year disappear.
Molluscum in adults and pubic region will take longer to disappear, has chances of spreading to other sites as well as to your sexual partner.
That's why their early removal preferred.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 9 minutes later
Could the topical antibiotic exacerbate it if it's actually molluscum?

Ok, thank you.

Out of interest, are the doctors on here mainly US based?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Topical antibiotic won't aggravate the lesions

Detailed Answer:
Topical antibiotic won't aggravate molluscum lesions.
It won't have much effect on these lesions.
Doctors on this site are from different countries apart from USA.