question-icon

Suggest treatment for pimple like bumps on vagina

Posted on Sat, 27 Jun 2015
Question: After returning from an anniversary trip with my husband, I noticed two pimple like bumps on the outer folds of my vagina. They are about pea sized, and when I pressed on one some pus came out. I haven't messed with them since, and while they don't hurt much, they are annoying and don't seem to be going away. Should I see my doctor? I've been married for 16 years, so I don't it's an STD, but I really don't shave that area so an infected hair follicle is unlikely as well. Any advice you could give me is appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal (30 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis or sebaceous cyst likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The small bumps with pus inside is most likely to be due to folliculitis or sebaceous cysts. Even if you don't shave in the area, vigorous sex or irritation can cause such an infection in the hair follicle. An STD is less likely.
Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN