question-icon

Suggest treatment for pilonidal abscess

Posted on Wed, 30 Jul 2014
Question: I have a pilonidal abscess which is bigger than a U.S half dollar. I have seen two doctors, one of which tried to XXXXXXX it with no luck. The other said to let it go and take bactrim. I'm experiencing numbness in left buttocks and in sever pain. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Bactrim,oral painkillers and warm application.

Detailed Answer:

Since one doctor has already attempted to drain it without success, you can take bactrim, oral painkillers and warm application at site of abscess.

This will relieve your pain and may also resolve the abscess completely or partly.

In partly resolved abscess warm application will help in head formation and in that case a second attempt to drain the abscess can be undertaken.

Hope this helps.Also keep the area clean and do check out for head formation or pus draining out intermittently.

Hope this helps.Regards.
Dr. Sudhir