Suggest treatment for pigmented purpuric dermatosis on legs

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: HAVE PIGMENTATION ON LOWER LEGS MY DOC SENT ME TO DERMATOLOGIST.
SHE LOOKED AT IT AND SAID IT WAS SECOMDARY TO POOR BLOOD CIRCULATION IN LOWER
LEGS AND SMALL RED BLOOD CELLS LEAKING IRON. GAVE ME A CREAM TO BUY WAS HELPING
BUT TODAY THE PIGENTATION WAS BURNING NEVER HAD THAT BEFORE THE CREAM HELPED
AFTER I SHOWERED BUT WHAT CAUSED THE BURNING SENSATION. WHAT CAN I DO TO
IMPROVE LOWER LEG BLOOD CIRCU;ATION
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic leg pigmentation disease, follow measures

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
Now from the description, it looks like you have developed pigmented purpuric dermatosis which is basically a pigmentation of the skin in the lower legs which tends to develop due to statis and leaking out of red blood cells.
Firstly, as you must be already aware, that this is basically a harmless skin condition which tend to occur in some people. In patients who are symptomatic or have any associated discomfort , topical steroid creams are prescribed.
Irritation in such lesions can be due to the disease itself or it can be due to any outside agent like a new cloth or socks or due to application of any new cream or oil or things like dettol or savlon.
Application of a topical steroid cream like cortisone helps in most cases to relieve the associated discomfort .
To avoid increase in the lesions and to improve blood circulation, try to keep legs slightly elevated at night with a light pillow underneath legs. Take rest during day time also with leg elevation in between. This prevents blood stasis and improves circulation .

Dr Geetika Paul