Suggest treatment for petechiae,nosebleeds,skin rashes and sore joints

Posted on Thu, 15 May 2014 in Men's Health
Question: I had Dermatitis Herpetiformis which was treated with Dapsone but I was never told that I had celiac disease or was gluten intolerant. I now get petechiae, nosebleeds, skin rashes, and sore joints. My Doctor says I have an elevated PSA and come back in six months. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Dermatitis herpetiformis is associated with gluten sensitive enteropathy. But not all the patients are symptomatic.
Celiac disease presents as abdominal apin, pale loose greasy stools, weight loss etc. As small intestine is not able to absorb the vitamins and nutrients properly in this disease, so vitamin deficiencies can be seen.
Vitamin k deficiency is sometimes seen in celiac disease which can lead to bleeding disorder.
As you have petechiae, nosebleeds etc, i would advise that you get a blood coagulation profile done which includes absolute platelet count, bleeding time, clotting time, vitamin k level, prothrombin time etc.
Other tests that should be done in celiac disease are calcium Vitamin D levels, hemoglobin, vitamin B 12 levels.

One should take gluten free diet and avoid Barley, rye, oats and wheats. Rice, maize, quinoa seeds, buckwheat, potato bananas are completely safe.

After investigation, if any vitamin deficiency is noted, it can be supplemented from outside.

Now as far as PSA is concerned, it is prostate specific antigen. It is raised in prostatitis, benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer. You need to discuss with your doctor why it was done and what is its significance in your case.

Hope this helped.

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist