• question-icon

Suggest treatment for petechiae on the right foot and ankle

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have noticed what appears to be petechiae on my right foot/ankle/ lower leg. mostly on the out side of each. ive had it for some time (1 yr ?) . it seems to have faded over time. if it is spreading, I cant say. I am a 69 yr old male,250 lbs, I have issues with my lower back and sciatac symptoms. I still work 40 hrs a week. my mother passed away in her early 60s, and my father survived a stroke in his late 60s until his late 7os.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload images and reports

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Petechiae could be due to altered clotting capacity and I would insist you to get your platelet count checked. I would request you to upload image of the affected areas. It will help me to evaluate the condition. You could also apply some emollient like calamine lotion or some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion.

Your low back pain could be due to spondylosis or could be due to muscle spasm, thus causing the pain. Hot compress should provide relief. The vicious cycle of pain and spasm needs to be broken and I would insist you to take paracetamol or acetaminophen 500 mg two tablets together twice or thrice daily for next 3 days. This should ease the problem and make it go away. If it does not, I would insist you to get a X Ray of Lumbosacral spine (AP and lateral) done and to see a physical therapist with the reports. Based on the findings he would be able to demonstrate to you proper exercises that should provide relief.

I would await your response based on which I will guide you further. Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha