Suggest treatment for persistent vomiting in infants

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: my daughter 7 was vomiting on Friday night, which I thought was a stomach virus, she has since vomited every 24 hours, but eating normally in-between. is her stomach just sensitive? it is now Tuesday.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It Seems to be viral. Wait for a day more. If not gone,take her to hospital

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you to my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns today and will put my best efforts to get you out of this situation.

She seems to have contracted a viral gastroenteritis and is very common for this age group.

It usually takes 5 to 7 to 10 days to go away and is self limiting. We give symptomatic relief. e.g for fever Tylenol; for vomiting Ondansetron by mouth.

Just give her Pedialyte to keep her hydrated and keep an eye on the volume of the urine. She should be taking enough water daily not to get dehydrated due to vomiting. Pedialyte (oral rehydration solution) will assist to keep her her fluid and electrolyte balance normal.

Nothing to worry much. Just observe and give the symptomatic treatment and if in a day or two if she doesn't get better, take her to the hospital for thorough evaluation and treatment goes accordingly. Nothing to do with the diet. just keep giving her the regular diet. Just avoid spices, fried foods, junk foods and beverages, chocolates and energy drinks.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time. If satisfied here, please give a generous five star rating to help us assist our patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up after sometime regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is any need to change the treatment options is very necessary. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Write down my name in the start of your question always & I will be with you sooner).

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 34 minutes later
yes this is what I thought but she is eating normally and drinking normally. then will be sick at night? or evening?
normally she goes off all food.
about 10 minutes after she was sick tonight she wanted pizza? is this normal
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, this is all OK and natural course of the disease.

Detailed Answer:

Kids with this disease usually look totally normal and this is OK if she is eating and drinking normally. But definitely there will remain some spells of sickness in between. It may linger on to a maximum of 10 days. After that it should have to over. If not, will need urgent care then.

Yes her asking for Pizza is totally normal even after 10 min of being sick. It will also be the natural course of the disease if she goes off of all food for sometime. Her appetite will definitely not be OK during these day. She will get better soon and will get back to her eating routine.

As I added earlier; keep her diet bland. Please avoid spices, beverages, caffeinated drinks and chocolates, fried and junk foods like Pizza (I am sure you are following the same). Rest of the instructions are the same.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Hanif 11 hours later
Dr XXXXXXX Hanf

how long could I expect siblings to catch it.
Brief Answer:
Siblings may or may not catch it depending on the hygiene!!!

Detailed Answer:
Once again welcome to my online clinic. I am happy to have you with me for a follow up query. You may ask me anytime for detailed expert medical help.

Siblings catch the viral respiratory infections faster than the gastrointestinal tract infections. It is because the respiratory infections spread through respiratory droplet through coughing and sneezing.

But the infection your daughter has spreads through Fecal-Oral route. As long as you keep proper care and hygiene of the kids, they may not catch it at all. If there is no hygiene then definitely there are chances for the siblings to catch it.

Observe that all the kids including your daughter wash their hands properly after restroom usage and also they should wash the hands every time they are about to take meals or anything to eat.

Also Wash the eatables properly before usage at home.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj