Suggest treatment for persistent vertigo

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 27 Dec 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I need help. I have had vertigo, now into my 3rd year. I had all the battery test's last year and was told my right side inner ear nerves were destyroyed by a virus. Ive gone to tharapy sessions and I try to do it on my own at least oce a day. I don't believe its doing me any good. My Ear Nose and Throat doctor had my hearing tested last year and just recently again. I have a big loss 4K up, my hearing is pretty poor and I do what I can with ear plugs and trying to avoid loud situations.. I am a musician, but I don't think that created the entire problem. My mother told me years ago that I had German measles when I was around 6 months old. Truth is I have never been able to hear very well, as a matter of fact I flunked the military draft in 68 because of my hearing problems. I had a CT scan done at the emergency room when this first hit me as BPPV, they found nothing. Last year I had an MRI, ordered by my ENT and again nothing.. Now all that said I get hit with dizzy spells that just come out of nowhere? Lately they have been more frequent. They only last a few seconds. but long enough for me to have to grab onto something not to fall down...Its scary thinking that maybe they are some kind of warning sign or maybe (and I dread using the word) a seizure of some kind.. I do have a lot of sinus problems, maybe some kind of sinus pressure triggering these dizzy bouts? I don't know and no one has any kind of answers for me.. I'm almost 70 and I am still working, trying to stay active. Its bad enough dealing day to day with vertigo, but the dizzy thing really puts me in a bad way....
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is an irreversible condition. Treatment is supportive.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. It is apparent that due to a childhood condition or due to some other subsequent condition you have suffered from sensorineural degradation of her hearing apparatus. Such a thing can only be detected on an audiometry (already done) and not an MRI. The organ of hearing lies in our inner ear (vestibulocochlear apparatus) can also be associated with the sense of balance. This is responsible for the dizzy bouts. Certain viral infections can give rise to such presentations as you have described but at advancement in age can also make such degenerative changes are more likely. In such a condition it is no use asking why this is happening to you. The answer is evident. I do not suppose that any seizure activity is involved.

Meclizine is an over the counter medication that can help. Vestibulocochlear stabilizing agents like cinnarizine or betahistine might be needed but since these are prescription medicines you might need to visit a doctor to get these prescribed. You also need to take plenty of water and fluids to drink.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 12 hours later
I did contact my primary care doctor, he prescribed Meclizine, as you said, and a
Medrol dose pack. 6 days I believe. I forgot to ask him what the steroids actually do as far "curing" my problem. As long as it helps I don't care.. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait and watch

Detailed Answer:
The steroids have an antiinflammatory action and should help. Wait and watch and see if it helps.