Suggest treatment for persistent vertigo

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Oct 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello XXXXXXX here (Age 24). I have been suffering from vertigo (dizziness) for at least a year now. My GP has done blood tests & can't find what is causing this. I have also been to a Ear/Nose/Throat Specialist who did didn't do any tests & thought it was possibly just a stress problem. A year ago I had anemia & had an iron infusion which made me feel a lot better however has not stopped my dizzy problem. Lately I've been feeling tight in the chest & having trouble breathing. I went to my GP 2 weeks ago & have high blood pressure (140/90), which is odd as I am slim (50kg) & exercise 45minutes per day (I run a lot). My GP did further blood tests which showed nothing but hasn't followed me up. Could you please help me what may be causing this dizziness/high BP/breathing problem? & what I should do as I know it is dangerous to have high BP. Many Thanks
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Based on the data you provided I would like to say that your BP is at the upper limits of norm and it's not increased above normal values.

Secondly your symptoms especially dizziness may be related to:
- Cervical spine spondylitis
- Inner ear problems
- Anemia
- Hormonal disorders
- Cardiac arrhythmia

If you were my patient I would recommend to do the following examinations to find out what is causing dizziness:
- Blood work (including thyroid hormones levels)
- Ecg
- Cardiac echo
- Tilt table test
- Cervical spine x-ray
- Audiogram

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
p.s: If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again.