Suggest treatment for persistent vaginal discharge along with itchy vagina

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 17 Aug 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have what appears to be a bad yeast infection for about 4 months now.... I've taken the pill, didn't work. Took two pills with 3 days of each other as instructed, didn't work. Resorted to 2 back to back monostat 7 day treatments with no missed doses..... Still didn't work.... I've now tried using tea tree oil soaked tampons at night for 3 days in a row, the persistent white discharge has diminished but now there's a dry sheet like discharge and rubbery clear clumps.... Never was any odor since the begining, itching was only present at the very begining and never came back.... Not pregnant, not having sex, and getting very depressed... Please help me figure this out...
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check for TV in addition

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
I understand your concern.
I feel you should have the discharge examined. There may be a Trichomonas vaginalis infection. If so it has to be treated with Metronidazole.
If the examination shows persistent yeast infection, you could take Flucanazole weekly for 4 weeks in addition to the antifungal suppositories.
Hope you would get well soon.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 6 hours later
I have been to planned parenthood 3 times and they took a sample each time and said it was just yeast. Is it possible that it's both?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
A therapeutic trial may be considered

Detailed Answer:
There is a possibility of both occurring in the same person. It is more scientific that the diagnosis is confirmed. If that's not possible a therapeutic trial with Metronidazole can be considered.
Also take oral antifungal in addition to suppositories.
If it recurs after these measures, it would be good to exclude conditions that decrease your immunity.