Suggest treatment for persistent urinary tract infection

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Thu, 27 Apr 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I've been prone to get UTI's in the past but when I drink a lot of water or cranberry juice it goes away . This UTI hasn't gone away but when I drink a lot of water I'm good , if I don't I feel the little pain . I don't have abnormal discharge , could it be a regular UTI or Chlamydia?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed evaluation and antibiotics are needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic for your health related queries.
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.

As per your description, it seems that you are experiencing recurrent attacks of UTI( urinary tract infection). I think you have't had any detailed evaluation for the same.
You don't need to worry regarding this because UTI is a readily treatable condition and complications are highly unlikely.
We can not say whether it is due to Chlamydia or not by symptoms only. If we do a urine culture, we can rule out Chlamydia.

I suggest you to consult a general physician and get the following things done:-
(1)- Do a urine routine examination to confirm UTI. You have to do a urine culture and sensitivity examination to find out what pathogen causing the infection. We can also rule out Chlamydial infection by culture.
(2)- Antibiotic therapy is essential, You can go for norfloxacin or nitrofurantoin as advised by your physician. In resistant cases intrvenous drugs may be required.
(3)- You can take acetaminophen or ibuprofen in case of fever and pain.
(4)- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. Cranberry juice is effective in UTI as it act as a urinary antiseptic.
(5)-Check your blood sugar level to rule out diabetes which can cause recurrent UTI.
(6)- Maintain good personal hygiene.
One thing you should keep in mind that,never skip antibiotics even if you feel better.

Hope I have answered your query.

Regards.
Dr.Shinas Hussain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng