Suggest treatment for persistent tingling sensation after hip replacement surgery

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i have rheumatoid arthritis since child hood and recently I suffered a fall while waiting for a left hip replacement surgery. Right after the fall I began to experience a severe muscle pull throughout the entire left leg. this continue to happen two months after surgery and now I have developed tingling and warmth with swelling on both feet. I do have both hips replaced now and my thinks I may sciatica and he has ordered for my MRI. I will soon go back to work help me out. I want a second opinion.
thanks.

What must have caused my problem(tingling and warmth and a little bite of numbness on both feet and what are my cures or remedies?

Are the Doctors still working on my answer? WILL I get an alert once my answer is ready?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Neuropathy

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, the tingling, warmth and numbness does sound like a nerve symptom only. But I am not sure, if we are looking at Sciatica here as it is mostly one sided...moreoever you will get radiation in the buttocks and upper thigh as well...But yes, we need to get a MRI done to see if there are other forms of nerve compression....

On my other thoughts, if you have implants in the Hip I am not sure how MRI will be possible( unless they have put the non metallic implants)

1. But to evaluate your symptoms, first thing we need is Nerve conduction Studies before imaging. It will at least give us a clue on what sort of nerve is involved and at which side.

2. I hope there is no history of diabetes.. Also get your vitamin b 12 levels checked.

3. Give a trial of nerve modulators like Pregabalin or Gabapentin till you wait for the scan. It may be useful in your condition and may even help improve symptoms...

4. LAstly I would like to know the drugs you are taking for rheumatoid arthritis as we need to make sure, it is not a side effect of the medicine

Hope the information was useful

Do let me know these queries

Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 4 hours later
Here are the my medicines: Humira pen, sulindac, tramadol, methotrexate, folic acid,

Doctors, I am still waiting for my answer on whether any of my listed medications can cause my tingling and warming sensations on both feet.

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further course

Detailed Answer:
good evening

Sorry for the late reply

Was out with family for a sunday..Humira can cause neuropathy...But to be sure what sort of neuropathy( nerves affected) you have, we need to get a NCV test done as the pattern will depend on the cause for it...Rest of the other drugs are ok to go with...Again it is a rare side effect...

So before you go for imaging, get the NCV test done which will be most helpful

dr naval.