• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent stomach ache and vomiting in a child

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor, my 4 and half year old son is complaining of stomach ache since 6am today and vomited big thrice till now. Motion was normal. Had half glass milk and 1 idli and it came out! Can you please suggest diet and medicine to treat his condition? Stomach pain reduced i believe, he is sleeping now.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like diarrhea might start - will suggest you the options

Detailed Answer:
It seems your kid might start to have viral diarrhoea. Usually it will start with pain in the tummy and then vomiting and then diarrhea.

Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

If diarrhea starts - I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment.

If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (Syrup Emeset 5ml thrice a day half an hour before food - but this is a prescription drug and you will need one for it).
Regarding diet - Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology