Suggest treatment for persistent sore throat

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi. so I've had an ongoing sore throat for about 8 days. it was very mild until Wednesday. I also have some coughing up mucus, nasal congestion, itchy throat, since Friday I have been waking up with both of my eyes crusted shut (it gets better once I wipe them down) . I don't have a fever and I don't have redness or any spots on my throat. I was wondering if all of these symptoms were connected, if they were an allergy or what? and what medicine I could take to get rid of it because im tired of this. thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fluids, rest, mucolytic, antihistamine, decongestant

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Allergies and upper respiratory tract infections can cause similar symptoms except there may be more systemic symptoms in the infection (fatigue, malaise/feeling down and unwell, loss of appetite).

Both are treated with similarly medications however, just that rest may be added as part of the treatment for the infection (usually viral).

Medications generally would consist of : (1) antihistamine/decongestant combinations of medications such as zyrtec d, allegra d, claritine d, benadryl d.
The antihistamine part would help with the itchy throat also with the nasal symptosm

(2) a topical decongestant can be added to this eg normal saline or otrivine drops

These meds would help with the nasal congestion , itching throat (if related to drip of mucus to the back of the throat).

(3)a mucolytic would help to break up the mucus in your chest and also that in your nose as well eg guaifenesin, bisolvan, mucomyst

Using enough fluids would also help to break up the mucus by making it thinner

(4)blockage of the lacrimal ducts/passage way can cause the eye symptoms. Cleaning the discharge with a clean material is the main way of treating this symptom

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions