Suggest treatment for persistent sore throat and post nasal drip

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: This is gonna sound silly but ive had a sore throat for months and now i can notice a little thing behind my tongue which pops up. I have a post nasal drip on one side only (left side) and both ears hurt but more on the left. I feel nauseas all the time also. Is rhe little thing at back of my throat normal ? I think it is called the epiglottis ?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it would most probably be Epiglottis

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Yes,the thing which you can see behind your tongue when you stretch your tongue out to examine your throat is most probably your epiglottis.It is a longitudinally curled structure,reddish in colour. It is a cartilage of the Larynx(Voice box).It can be seen when you stretch your tongue out.

You can send a photograph if needed.

Your ears might be hurting because of inflammation in your nose/sinuses leading to post nasal drip.
You might be feeling Nausea due to post nasal drip or due to Acid reflux.

You may find relief by taking the following medicines:
Analgesic with Anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen,
Antacid with Anti-nausea medication like Pantoprazole with Domperidone,
Antihistaminic like levocetrizine,
Oral Decongestant like Pseudoephedrine with Nasal Decongestant drops like Oxymetazoline(take decongestant only if you are not suffering from Hypertension/heart,kidney or liver disease).

Also do steam inhalation.Avoid cold food and dust.Drink lots of warm fluids.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have any follow-up questions.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Riddhi Shah 59 minutes later
Do you suggest i see an ENT as this has been going on for months now ? I have been doing nasal rinse every day and am on amoxillan anti biotics . Thank you
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it would be advisable to consult an ENT Specialist Doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for your follow-up query.

As you are suffering posterior nasal drip since months,inspite of taking Oral Antibiotic and doing nasal rinse daily,it would be advisable to consult an ENT Specialist Doctor to rule out causes like Sinusitis,Allergy,etc and treat accordingly.

Hope this answers your question.Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad