• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent sore throat and high BP

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Infections
Question: I have sore throat that gets worse in the morning. This is for last three days. Accopained are cold sympotms like runny nose. Mild dry cough.No fever so far. I am 52 and weigh 75 kg. A diabteic and high blood pressure history. My physician usually prescribe Cepodem 200 for 5 days to be taken twice a day. For me, this type of occurence is almost one or two times a year. Should i start taking cepodem 200? My doctor is not available.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take antihistamine for relief.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.
Cepodem is an antibiotic used to cure bacterial infection.
After reading your post, I would suggest that you should wait for few days before starting an antibiotic. Your infection might not be bacterial.
If you are not having fever and only sore throat and running nose is present, I would advise that you should take antihistamine like Levocetrizine 5 mg once a day along with Vitamin B and C supplement.
Drink lots of water daily and include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet and wash your hands before meals to prevent recurrent infection.
If fever comes, I would suggest that you should go for a throat swab culture and start antibiotic accordingly.
Further medical management can be planned after a clinical examination by your doctor.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist