• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent sore throat and elevated white blood cells

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been sick with cold symptoms since April 21st ( at least eight weeks ) I have a sore throat on my right side primarily. I tested negative for strep. I have a swollen gland on my right side- thyroid area. It is sore to the touch. My right ear is full and has been since April 21. I saw a ENT and had a hearing test and have lost some hearing. I did a Z-PACK and a steroid shot ( not at the same time ) . I am exhausted. I am becoming emotionally depressed. My white blood cell count was slightly elevated, but the blood draw was during the onset of the infection. I went into a coughing fit today out of nowhere upon drinking an iced tea that caused so much drainage and fluid, that I honestly scared people ( at Target ) . I called doc and asked for a chest Xray. My question: DO I need a thyroid test next? Concerned I am not healing.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sore throat

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
You are probably having tonsillitis. Thyroid swellings are very rarely tender to touch unless infected.
My advice is please send me the pictures of your throat and get an ultrasound neck done and thyroid function test done.
It would be better to advise once I see the pictures.
Also send me your audiometry report.
Follow up with the required information.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist