Suggest treatment for persistent severe cough and upper back cramps while coughing

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Jun 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: IM GOINGTO A CARDIOLOGIST FRI AND A PULMONOLOGIST MON. HAVE HAD ATHSMA ALL SPRING.BUT ONE SAYS COULD BE HERT OTHERSAYS NOT REALLY ATHSMA CAUSE OXYGEN IS GOOD. IM HAVING HARDER AND HARDER TIME EXPANDING LUNGS TO BREATHIN.ACTUALLY WITHOUT INHALERS MY UPPER BACK CRAMPS UP. I COUGH THE MOST LOUD LONG AND SMOKER SOUNING COUGHS.I DO NOT SMOKE.IM LIGHT HEADED AND REALLY HAVY ARMS LEGS GOING UP STAIRS.BUR INHALERS STEROIDS HAVE ALWAYS HELPED.WHATS WRONG WITH MY LUNGS.
adding additional facts to last question ...l i was a premature baby starved almost to death by 9 months was on a breathing machine 6 weeks after birth. born 1973 in kittery maine flown to XXXXXXX put in incubator both lungs a had collapsed. normaal childhood stuff then after flue 7th grade got permenantly more cough prone breathlesss lightheaded then in highschool had mitrovalve prolapse with regurgtation. weight gain in child birth reduced heart valve stuff. then recently lightheaded breathless sent to er good results on echo except some mitro valve some regurgitation two vales mild thickining two valves mild sclerosing on one valve. good stress test results. had crazy heart rythm all night.said it was just caused from inhalers and steroids.was safe.
im increasingly short of breath.i have always had fantom athsma. takes months after any flue orcold or dust mold or smoke especially smoke of any kind or singing.really bad if i dare to laugh.or sing.cant sing at church anymore or go up many stairs.daily hurts some to inhale.seems hard ti inhale deep.makes me tired . sooo tired of coughing and tired from tight muscles in upper back.feels so hard to breath in
cant even list allinhalers used but many and rescue inhaler too plus many round steroids over te last twenty years
oh ha ha i inhale bits of meat drink and food weekly always got stragled easy we just laugh as i choke but it hurts to try and get that back u and embarrasing .swallow test gerd test was normal so who knows
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get done PFT with reversibility testing.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
Thanks for the detailed history.
I can understand your concern.
By your history and description, in my opinion you are mostly having chronic bronchitis.
Premature children are commonly having chronic bronchitis due to poor development of lung defense and structure.
So better to consult pulmonologist and get done
1. Clinical examination of respiratory system
2. Chest x ray
3. PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) with reversibility testing.
PFT will also tell you about severity of the disease and treatment of bronchitis is based on severity only.
Allergic component can also be in your case.
Oral antihistamine and anti allergic drugs will help you more than steroids.
Chest physiotherapy and deep breathing exercises are recommended.
Adult respiratory vaccines like pneumococcal and Influenza should be given in your case to prevent recurrent respiratory tract infection.
Discuss all these with pulmonologist and start appropriate treatment.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.