Suggest treatment for persistent prurigo nodularis

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have bee. diagnosed with prurigo nodularis and have been to many dermatologists none of the creams of treatment they gave have helped. how do I find out the underlying cause of the disease. I read it is often associated with hiv but I've tested negative. I don't know what else to do this disease has taken over my while life
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcaremagic
It has been seen that insect bites, trauma, contact reaction or folliculitis acts as a initial provoking factor in prurigo nodularis. Emotional stress and atopy are contributory factors in many cases. Sometimes it indicates underlying systemic disease like liver, kidney or thyroid disorder , anemia, HiV infection and malignancy.
As far as treatment is concerned if you are not getting improvement with creams consider oral therapy and phototherapy. In such cases I recommend my patients to take antihistaminics like hydroxyzine, tranquilizers, and drugs like naltrexone and cyclosporine but these are all prescription medicines. So you will have to consult a dermatologist.
I hope to have answered your queries.
I would be happy to answer any further clarifications.
Wish you good luck
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 35 hours later
yes I've been diagnosed with anemia as well .what type of oral therapy ? I also get weird things coming out of my skin I though we're bugs at one point but people just want to tell me im crazy. I though maybe I had nodular scabies but I live with someone for yes and she has no marks at all
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antihistaminics along with cyclosporine and ferrous sulphate

Detailed Answer:
For anemia you need to take iron supplements in the form of ferrous sulphate. For prurigo take antihistaminics like hydroxyzine tablet 25 mg twice daily along with cyclosporine 3 mg/kg body weight daily but again these are prescription medications and you need to consult a dermatologist for this.
As far as nodular scabies is concerned lesions are usually present on the finger web spaces, sides of fingers and hands, wrist, axillae, abdomen and inner thighs along with nocturnal itching and there is usually a positive family history.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T