Suggest treatment for persistent pimples on the face

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Pigmentation Problems
Question: I am having regular pimples on my face since 3-4 years. Sometimes for a little time they stop but they again become regular.

Few other things that may be of importance
1. I always have heavy periods with lots of bleeding ,clots and extreme pain.
2. Also have white discharge and feels weakness in body.

So what do you recommend to treat the pimples?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Management for pimples

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photographs and understand your concern.
You are having mild to moderate acne which is very common in your age group.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to use a salicylic acid 1 percent face wash twice daily and apply benzoyl peroxide 2.5 percent gel on the pimples twice daily.
Along with this I would recommend you to take tablet azithromycin 500 mg once daily for 3 consecutive days in a week for 6 weeks.
These will help in improving your condition but treatment needs to be continued for a long duration.
These are prescription medicines and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Heavy and painful bleeding is usually not related to acne and white discharge.
For weakness get your haemoglobin and thyroid function tests done. Even anemia and thyroid disease can lead to weakness.
Along with acne do you have excessive hair growth on face, delayed menses, hair fall from scalp?
Besides this keep your face dry, avoid oily creams, avoid oiling of scalp, use cosmetics labelled as noncomedogenic , don't pick pimples and reduce the intake of sugary foods.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to clarify any further doubts.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar