Suggest treatment for persistent pain symptoms after spine surgery

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Two back surgeries: herniated disk; vertebrae fracture;, second surgery, fusion, (rod). Continuous pain. Auto immune disease: RA, colitis,small bone in back twisted; open heart surgery, RA arthritis wrist, ankles. shoulder joints, hips. Last year developed scoliosis, stenosis. Pain helped by Norco 10.3, every 4 hours (4xday, 4 x day). Morphine early morn., Ambient to sleep. Able to function. Able to live with that, although professional have some trouble. Not sure regimen appropriate. Their objection is "break-a-way pain" I assume from morphine, but not sure of thinking. Patient last to know? What is a working plan to pain relief in this plan.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Other treatment ways should be considered.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Besides pain medications that you are using, if there is no sufficient improvement, epidural injections could be considered as a possibility.

Another possible symptomatic treatment is TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation).

These treatment possibilities lower in maximum the needs for drug control of pain.

You should discuss with your Surgeon about physical therapy treatment also; if the fractured vertebrae allow this to be done.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj