Suggest treatment for persistent pain in the flanks

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: This morning I had sudden back/side or flank pain which seemed to move around to below my belly button. My abdomen was bloated this morning. For 2.5 weeks I have had an upper respiratory infection. I had a low grade fever and chills and diarrhea. Now my upper respiratory infection is much better--just a lingering cough--but the low grade fever, night sweats, and diarrhea are still with me. My temperature was 99.1 just minutes ago. Usually it is closer to 97.6. I noticed that I needed to urgently urinate this morning but there was no pain with urination, no blood, and no unusual odor. The pain is gone now. My question: Do I have a kidney infection or what and if so, how should I treat it?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
kidney infection v/s gut infection

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

From the symptoms it seems that you may have a sub-clinical kidney infection .Kidney infection does cause fever,chills,night sweats.

Diarrhoea is less likely due to an kidney infection. An underlying gut infection also needs to be considered.

A urine examination test with stool culture needs to be done .
This will differentiate between the two.

Either of these infections can be successfully treated with antibiotics like ofloxacin / ornidazole and pre-probiotic tablets.

Drinking plenty of fluids will help immensely.

I hope the answer was useful.
Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D