• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent pain in leg and upper thigh

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I am having horrible pain I my left leg, upper thigh I back. I have tried creams, aspirin, OxyContin and morphine and nothing is helping! Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
paracetamol and pregabalin

Detailed Answer:

I suppose it's sciatica? Painkiller combinations increase the potency of each individual painkiller. What you haven't used so far (or you haven't mentioned) is paracetamol, which is a weak painkiller, but it augments opioids and NSAID. Another type of drug is pregabalin (and gabapentin) which acts on neuropathic pain. You could also substitute aspirin for another NSAID like meloxicam, ibuprofen, etc.

Finally increasing the dosage of the opioid will definitely manage the pain. You should watch for side effects though.

The cause of the pain may have to be addressed. If the pain won't go away then further options may include steroids and surgical options (provided we talk about sciatica).

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis