• question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent pain in feet despite taking Gabapentin

Posted on Tue, 21 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My son is taking gabapentin for nerve pain in his feet , he is also taking duloxetine HCL 60 cap and he is on toujeo solo star 300 units ml pen injection and apidra solos tar 100 units ml. He is extremely wired and has not slept in days. Has lots of pain in feet. What is not working here? He was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic in March 2016.
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diabetic Neuropathy may take six months to heal

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthCareMagic.com I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas, and I am here to help you. I have read your question with care and understand your concerns.  

One of the complications of diabetes is diabetic neuropathy

Let me explain about this
Nerves have a central axon surrounded by myelin sheath. you can think of this axon as copper wire that carries current in your home and myelin as the insulation

In diabetes, the increased sugars clog the small blood vessels supplying nerves. Hence there is no blood supply to the nerves, thus the myelin sheaths are damaged. Hence signals from one axon mix with another. You can think of this as the cross talk we used to have in the era of landline telephones.

This manifests as various symptoms like altered sensations of feet

Now for these symptoms to disappear, it needs around 6 months of proper treatment

Unlike fever due to throat infection which gets cured in a week, diabetic neuropathy requires a long time to get cured and for you to appreciate the change

So you have to be a bit more patient and wait for six months

Hope you found the answer helpful.

If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 3 hours later
My follow up question is, what would be a course of proper treatment for this?
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment of Diabetic Neuropathy is enumerated below

Detailed Answer:
If it is a diabetic Neuropathy, we need to do the following

(1) Strict Diet Control

(2) Proper Management of Diabetes with routine Blood tests

(3) Drugs to improve nerve function

(4) Drugs to improve Micro circulation (that is drugs which increase blood flow in small blood vessels of the nerves)

(5) Drugs to modulate Nerve Pain

(6) Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy

(7) If pain is very severe, anxiolytics or sedatives

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas

Neurologist, Surgical