Suggest treatment for persistent pain in coccyx

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Have sx of urinary urgency, no burning. Some increase in bowel movements but probably due to my anxiety over what started about a month ago which was tailbone pain. Have had difficulty sitting on a hard chair for years without pain in my neck occurring. In the last week the tailbone pain is more like burning around the rectum/tailbone and discomfort if I bend down and stoop over. No pain with walking. Had chills and fever a week ago but is gone. Have been coughing a lot for over a week. I am thinking I will get a colonoscopy for starters. Any other help would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy /abdominal ultrasound /urine analysis

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

Having chills, fever and coughing and now frequent bowel movements are suggestive for possible viral infection associated with gastroenteritis.

It is important to :
- keep well hydrated
- monitor fever and use antipyretic meds
- have bald diet (rice, apple sauce, toast, banana )
- take probiotics to stabilize intestinal flora

With regards to the pain you are feeling in your tailbone, it might be related to :

- changes /inflammation or dislocation of the vertebrae in the tailbone area. A further xray is advised for proper diagnosis

- irritatation of rectum after experiencing frequent bowel movements. Colonoscoy / sigmoidoscopy will be helpful in determining the right diagnosis.

- as you are also having burning sensation when passing urine together with emergency, I advise to get an urine analysis done together with abdominal ultrasound for further evaluation

Depending on the results, specific treatment will be prescribed.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 17 minutes later
Just wanted to ask if the minocycline would have helped, since chills and fever have resolved. I will get a UA as I thought perhaps I might have a UTI.
One thing I forgot to mention is my heart rate is about 80 and I can "feel" it pounding in my head when I'm at rest.

To clarify, I don't have burning when voiding. The burning feeling is more around the tailbone area which started out as aching and now I would call it burning. I sit most of the time at a computer for my job, which is getting very hard to do.

Thank you so much for your response.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not advised to take minocycline before UA

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

As you are going to run UA , I do not advise to take minocycline now as it will give false results.

Drink plenty of fluids, avoid caffeinated drinks until you get UA done. Then, can take it for urinary tract problems.

With regards to feeling your heart beats while resting, it might be due to :
- normal physiological processs; however, following health problems should be excluded first
- blood problems (e.g anemia )- get a complete blood count run to determine /rule it out
- oscillations in blood pressure - get your bp monitored
- blockage in carotid arteries - doppler ultrasound is advised in this case together with a complete cardiac check up

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 minutes later
Yes very helpful, going for a checkup tomorrow. Haven't taken the minocycline for awhile. (Was initially prescribed for my acne!)
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Happy to be assisting you

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Ok, that's the best thing you can do.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana