Suggest treatment for persistent pain and swelling in the waist area

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: Hi,

My husband has a large swelling on the right hand side of his waist. He has had pain on both sides over the last week, and said his left side was more painful to touch a couple of days ago but the pain has now gone on the left side. The swelling is large, the size of my hand and feels like fluid, it really does stick out. He thought at first it was a muscle strain, but now it has swollen and feels more like an ache or muscle strain.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They look like Lipomas.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I saw the pic.
They look like Lipomas, swellings caused due to accumulation of fat.
FNAC ( Fine Needle aspiration Cytology ) of the swellings will confirm the diagnosis. If Lipoma is confirmed, Surgery has to be done. There are no medicines for this condition.
Please consult your Surgeon, get examined clinically and proceed accordingly.
Nothing to worry.
Hope I answered your query . If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 57 minutes later
This swelling has only just appeared. His left side did swell a little then disappeared. It feels like fluid not fatty tissue. To clarify, he has never had any type of swelling in this area ever. It is not painful to press the swelling, but he does ache on his side. Wouldn't we have noticed the swelling enlarging over time rather than just appearing if it is Lipoma?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Another possibility is Hernia.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It is true that Lipoma enlarges in size gradually.
Another possibility is Hernia,where peritoneal fluid is seen as swelling.
Cystic lesions of abdominal wall are very rare.
In my opinion, he should get an Ultrasound of the abdomen and FNAC ( Fine Needle aspiration Cytology ) of the swelling. Exact diagnosis will be confirmed.
Wish him good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar