Suggest treatment for persistent pain and soreness in the hips

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Monday morning I awoke and sat up in bed but dangled for a moment as I had been experiencing a sore hip. I fell back and legs fell out and as I sat up again, the same thing happened. It happened 7 times and my husband took me to the hospital ER but all they would look at was my almost 76 year old heart not my problem. Finally the cardiologist saw me do it again and suggested I see a neurologist. We do not have any neuro guys up here in the White Mountains for AZ. I only do this after begin prone not after I am up and moving. I am able to do my walking again and wonder if it might be inner ear or maybe early signs of Parkinson's. Where can I go to find more information. Thank you for your assistance.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible hip pathology to be ruled out first

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam

I can certainly understand your concern.

As per your clinical description, the possibility of early Parkinson's disease seems to be rare.

The possibility of hip pathology is high.

I advise you to rule out hip pathology first by getting an MRI of the hip joint.

Consultation with an Orthopaedic surgeon will be of great help prior to visiting a Neurologist.

Further management if any is largely based on test results.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 10 hours later
Thank you and the hip is better, even back to walking my usual 2 miles in the AM. I still experience the fall back and twitch after being in a prone position but glad to know it is not Parkinson's.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further imaging may help

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

It's good to know that your improving in your hip pathology.

If possible get your hips and lower back scanned through MRI.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T