question-icon

Suggest treatment for persistent pain after rotator cuff surgery

Posted on Mon, 20 Feb 2017
Question: I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago. And from that surgery I have nerve damage that functions the deltoid muscle. I had nerve repair surgery 6 months later and this part of the nerve could not be repaired. I can only lift my arm slightly. I have a large knot on my shoulder that hurts constantly. I am right handed and this is to my right shoulder, so I had to go on disability since it is hard for me to do anything with this arm since I can barely lift my arm. Is there anything or type of surgery you could recommend, or a doctor that could help me..
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Physiotherapy could help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
This kind of problem like partial damage to axillary nerve( nerve which supplies to deltoid muscle) and post operative stiffness is very common after shoulder surgery.
Find out the cause of huge knot by ultrasound examination or MRI- if it is a suture anchor or any foreign body removal may help in movements.It may the only surgery to help you.
Other surgeries may not be helpful at all. I suggest you undergo rigorous physiotherapy program with local steroid injection (as and when needed - not more than 2-3) to have mobility and power in shoulder .
I hope I have answered your question. Please feel free to ask any further question.
Thanx
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon