Suggest treatment for persistent non-productive cough and cold

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I started having common cold symptoms about 10 days ago and went to PCP 8 days ago. Diagnosed me with " the crud" I'm still not feeling better and have green mucus and a really bad deep non-productive cough. Have I developed a bacterial sickness that can be treated with antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
probably not

Detailed Answer:

the answer is probably not... A common cold may last for many days. Sometimes it can be complicated with sinusitis and pneumonia. Sinusitis presents with headache, worsening of symptoms and perhaps also fever. Pneumonia may present with fever, worse cough and sputum production.

The color of sputum is not very important to assess the common cold and can't be used to distinguish between bacterial and viral infection.

So in conclusion, if you have symptoms like the ones I've described then medical assessment would be recommended (because a bacterial complication is likely).

Kind Regards!