Suggest treatment for persistent nerve pain post a spinal fusion surgery

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a spinal fusion 16 months ago after 13 years of constant horrible nerve pain from the waist down. I had a 12mms shift of L4-5. I am so much better!!! For the last 6 months, I have noticed a lot of right upper leg pain, also my buttocks. It's not the nerve pain, seems muscular to me. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and evaluated as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Pain in Upper portion of lower limb involving thigh region can be due to disc prolapse at L2-3, L3-4 level even in operated case of L4-5 disc prolapse.
Other possibility may be hip or sacroiliac joint involvement.
You need to get examined by a neurologist or neurosurgeon first before going for any imaging.
Pain killers with muscle relaxant like etoricoxib or Aceclofenac with thiocholchicoside or tizanidine can be taken.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng